MODEL AIRCRAFT FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MODEL AIRCRAFT FORUM

Welcome to Forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesLog inRegister

Building a model from scrath

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris

Chris

Building a model from scrath Empty
PostSubject: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeSun 3 Jan - 10:18

As this forum has been created I thought we could use it as means to build a model from sracth,i.e. from just a plan,we could share a complete build of a model from what we do with plan,right up to final set up,upload pics of our build so far,and get help from other members if something is not adding up.
Not only would it be good fun,but for some of you guys that have not built from scratch now would be a good time to give it a whirl.
So if anybody is up for this,answer the post and we will get going,I have some idea's on a good first time scratch build model suitable for IC or electric.

Come guys lets make this forum work

Chris
Back to top Go down
dougal
Anonymous

PostSubject: scratch building   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb - 16:30

Hi Chris-First of all,congrats on your SE5A--Great job.Hope to see it at Apata one day.Had a bit of a chuckle over this idea.In nearly 60yrs of modelling I have only built 2 out of a box,and they are over 50 yrs apart!! the first was a Keil-Kraft Phantom control-liner with a 'K'2cc and the 2nd a Astro Hog with a K&B60.Virtually everything in between was from the Aeromodeller Plans Service,from Tomboy to Combat Capers. I have just got my 3rd 'Hog' in the air built fromthe plans of the kit bought through Trade Me about 3yrs ago. Iwas given a rather tatty plan of an electric trainer and have had that for a couple of yrs,after many mishaps it still flies well on a calm day,and I am still struggling to find the time to finish my latest---Chuck Cunningham's Super Lazy Ace--96'' Bi-Plane with 50ccDA petrol motor up front. Plans were sent from USA. Really all I wanted to say was good luck to your venture.I hope you get heaps of interest.I have found it to be an easy task as long as you can get all the materials.It's a lot cheaper than a kit of the same class,and nothing beats that first flight for the satisfaction it gives,and it makes the Winter Wizz by!!!! Good luck mate,I'll be watching for updates--Dougal Building a model from scrath Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar - 10:43

I think a SLIPSO 400 would be a good model for this easy to build,then we could start our own racing series.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug - 13:53

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and RC flying. Just trying to find a descent site for building my own RC plane from scratch, and seem to be really struggling !! Any ideas would be great. Cheers Hope your online soon lol
Back to top Go down
weldingr
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug - 16:00

Hey davy,I can help you build yourself a plane,I have build afew profile foamies and now building balsa models,foamies are easy to build,heaps of plans online and easy to repair if you crash.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 13:11

Hey weldingr lol, sorry, funny nick name :-). Great to hear from ya. I really want to get into the Balsa models as I love the challenge and always seem to jump into the deep end :-P. I would love any help/ideas that would be awesome cheers. Still havnt made it to the Apata club yet, still waiting to hear from a few lads to see whats the deal :-). Looks like site is a little quiet !!
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 13:52

Hey Davy,do you have a plane ?
This site is very slow,Have a look at parkflyers.org. its a new zealand site and there are great guys on there and some interesting builds and loads of infomation,it would be the most popular site for nz based parkflyers.
I have not made it out to apata for awhile as the weather has been crap,indoor flying nights can be fun if you are into micro planes and helis
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 14:03

Hey Rod, cheers for the site, i'll have a look at it. Yea I have a Kyosho Calmato .40 that I have flown about 10 times or 1hr last weekend (in slightly windy conditions lol) at home (check my profile) and have ready a P51 Mustang PTS trainer that I will try soon, or if I destroy my Calmato!! after a few runs on a good runway. Would just need to swap the radio gear back to it. Got sick of waiting to go to a club so just got it up in the air at home after a few hours on the flight sim. i love it. So want to do skeep something that I can keep using my radio gear atm as that seems to be the dearest cost. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 15:08

http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/
Cool do you have your own little model strip?
Yeah landing is abit tricky and on most models the wheels are to small,
I only have a couple of models with landing gear,E-foamies yak54,and my trainer(first plane)the others get a belly landing.
I am building a GWS spitfire and a balsa pylon racer from scratch,It is a copy of a CS stinger.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 15:32

lol no, just a clear long narrow section in a gully type thing (approx 70m wide x 150m long) has recently had trees cleared and ploughed and re sowed.
Prob not ideal for a self learning pilot :-P.
But hey,at least i got it in the air and still in 1 piece. (so far) lol
Wheels keep getting ripped off on landing except 1 time lol, so have braced with some wire from wheel arch to front of engine panel,and will try next fine day.
So will look for a different place in town maybe, or get out to club!
Your planes sound awesome.
Are they all park/ indoor type?
What sort of wing span are they?
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug - 23:40

Hey davy,thats cool,
Good that you are up and flying,I started the same way and yes just love it,
I have x3 indoor planes and the rest are 800-1200mm wing span,
I have a ritewing and that is great to fly when it is to windy for the others,can be flowen in up to 50km winds and after 5mins my nerves are shot,bloody good fun bounce
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug - 13:06

50km winds ! Now that would be interesting lol. Are they all electric? Would have fown tonight but too many beers. Social club day at the Blo karts and clay bird shooting at Papamoa, Funny as just not enough wind, maybe tomorrow :-). Papamoa park by the new college looks lik a good park to fly though?
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug - 13:34

Yes all the planes I fly are electric,I have a collection of glow plug engines and have build some multi cylinder engines for scratch,they are abit loud for the park at 6.30 am,
Cool man,I have not been out too that park in papamoa,do they have sports on saturdays there?
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug - 13:41

Hey davy,I did have 28 planes ready to fly awhile ago,have had abit of a cull out since then,may have to build another shed to store my planes( and guess what it was the MRS idea)
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug - 13:53

rofl 28 ??? classic!! Did you sell them?
True, yes there will be sports tomorrow. Maybe sunday lol.
A multi engine would be awesome to build, what was the model?
What engine size? Man its hard to find a place to get a kit to build your own from scratch/laser cut set with all the deatails etc. Still looking.lol
Do you know if my JR nitro radio gear would work with an electric set up?
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 27 Aug - 15:06

Yes the radio TX and RX will work with an electric powered plane.
Have a look at WATTS UP HOBBIES site they have afew ply,balsa kit planes.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug - 13:48

Hey, any idea what would the minimum or should use servo torque that should be used in a .40 nitro? (ie 3 kg, is this too small? )
I just want a good allround servo thats not too expensive!!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeWed 1 Sep - 23:48

Hey davy,
Yes standard size servos will work on a size 40
I have some hi tech ones for cheap if you are keen,also used Gws and the have never failed
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeThu 2 Sep - 12:36

Oh bugger. I jusy got 3x Hi Tec HS-311 servos off trademe 'avtec' 3x $60 hope they are ok!!!
Cheers for the offer though. May still get later if you still have them.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 3 Sep - 2:33

Thats cool Davy,I have heaps of bits kicking around in the shed,if you need any bits to set up an electric plane,let me know,I also have plenty of glow plug engine parts and can help you with any engine tuning.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 3 Sep - 10:01

Awesome, cheers Rod.
Im quite liking the idea of an electric park flyer so would be keen to set one up when finances allows it.
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 3 Sep - 13:17

Cool Man,Its good to have a profile foamie in the back of the car,for a fly before and after work.
Also they take a hammering,easy to fix with a hot glue gun.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeFri 3 Sep - 13:39

They can look pretty awesome too. So what would one cost to get up and running if I can use my own radio?
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeSat 4 Sep - 7:13

If you shop around and build the plane yourself about $100-$150
I see foam works does a tango combo for around $250
And watts have a some molded epo warbirds made by EMS,$179 gets you everything except radio set,I have looking at them for awhile,but alas not enough funds,airframe,motor,esc,servos and battery,dam sharp price.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 14:11

so what about ply/balsa kits from scratch or laser cut only. It seems to be a mission finding or figuring out if a kit is from scratch or not !!! Any better key words to use ? may look at one to build to get ready for when I can fly well and step up to the next model. Well thats the idea lol. cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 14:31

http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_36&products_id=2925
Hey davy have a look at this kit,laser cut ply and balsa.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 14:49

thats the stuff im looking for cheers. What about this one? :-)
http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_36&products_id=1725
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 15:16

Yeah thats cool,
I had not looked at that,looks like a good build,my first scratch build,i copied my trainer.
Its just a box fuse and flat wing,turned out really good.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 16:36

Just found these about $320 + postage if they do !!! Awesome looking planes.
http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Kits/C3-1-0.htm
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitimeMon 6 Sep - 23:18

Good find ,yes awesome alrite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a model from scrath   Building a model from scrath Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a model from scrath
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next