MODEL AIRCRAFT FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MODEL AIRCRAFT FORUM

Welcome to Forum

HomeGalleryLatest imagesLog inRegister

Looking for an electric !

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

Looking for an electric ! Empty
PostSubject: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSat 25 Sep - 15:31

Ok, so these electric planes are looking like quite fun and more flyable at local parks. Any advice as there is so many to pick from? Just coming to terms with all the terms and parts etc !!!
So whats your favourite planes etc? I see yours Glenn must be the flamming Ritewing to the side is it not?
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep - 12:22

Hey davy,yes that my rite wing,nice bird to fly,but it is loud,does scream abit,when a prop is pushing not pulling the noise level is ver high.
Got park flyer,around 800mm wing span,400-500grams all up weight,
I like my epp home made profiles,no crying when it crashes,do not have to buy special spare parts,repair with hot glue gun,and great fun.
I am cutting out a new yak 54 at the moment,should take about 2nites and it will be finished,
About 1400rpm out runner,20amp ESC,600-1600mah battery,4x 9gram servos and a receiver,1x sheet of 8mm 30 weight epp,hot glue and some stainless tig welding wire for control rods,hot glue used for hinges of control surfaces.
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep - 13:47

Hey davy,I forgot you also need some carbon rod and tube,

I seen this video on u tube,model spitfire with a model V6 4 stroke engine,man it sounded like the real thing,I will try and find the link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXX3gcT2okI&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep - 14:14

Man, that sounds great. So what do you think about this one with the suggested upgrades in comments below? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11242
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep - 3:48

Weldingrod wrote:

I seen this video on u tube,model spitfire with a model V6 4 stroke engine,man it sounded like the real thing,I will try and find the link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXX3gcT2okI&feature=related

Hey Weldingrod, that was a real Spitfire made by ""Supermarine Aircraft Spitfire MK26b full load test pulling 3g, great demo of the best spitfire made today by the Australian Company Supermarine Aircraft""

and if you watch vid right to end you will see a real piolit flying it.

It an't no model. Thats why it sounds so real and cool.

Back to top Go down
http://www.tmac.net.nz
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep - 8:33

Bugger,my mad should of watched the whole vid,the other was the model Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 0:57

got my plane yesterday and it looks awesome. Only took 3-4 days when left HK (so cheap). Just trying to figure out how the lipo battery plugs in as it looks like a different plug. Im wondering if my 72 mhz is not compatable with the lipo?mmm. Got my covering so will finish covering my other plane repair too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 6:16

Ok here are some pics of my new plane.
Any idea with the questions on previous post? I think the 4 lead plug coming out of battery is the balance charger so just need to connect the 2 big leads to the esc. Its a 10 amp at the moment, can I put a 30-40 amp one in? as apparently its meant to be a 20 amp!!! Cheers

Looking for an electric ! 100_3693
Looking for an electric ! 100_3692
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 7:31

Hey Davy,yes the 4 x wires coming out of the battery are the balance caring lead,do you have a lipo balance charger?
Its a brushless motor?if so there are 3x wire that connect to motor,its a 3 phase motor so if motor turns the wrong way,you only need to change two wires.
You can pick up a 20amp esc from foam works or the like for around $30,no advantage in having to bigger esc.
You will also need a connection for esc to battery,and some bullet connectors for motor.
You new model looks good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 8:51

Hi Davy, If thats the ESC that came with the plane then there is no need to change it.

I have got a couple of these and they fly great with standard gear they come with.

I sugest changing the plug on the Lipo and the red 2 pin on the ESC to a deans plug

Also Davy, did the Muzi come with Two blade or four blade prop. If Four blade then change to 2 blade for verticle performance.

Pete.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 9:50

I know $49 USD amazing Very Happy .
I also got: in $ USD
1 x Hobby King Mini P-51D Mustang Parkflyer Plug-n-Fly $49.99
1 x TURNIGY Transmitter Strap $0.99
1 x Reciever/System Switch $2.50
1 x Covering Film Solid White (5mtr) 113 $9.47 (for other plane repairs)
1 x TowerPro Brushless Outrunner 2409-12T $9.79 (for up grade if required)
1 x Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack $9.99
5 x APC style propeller 8x6-E $1.00 ea
2 x 3 Blade EP Propeller 10x7 / 254x178mm $2.74 ea

No, have not got a charger yet they were all on back order so i left it. Not sure what to get !!
Yes it is the 2 blade prop.
Will need to check out those deans plugs !!!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 10:56

Hey davy,man you have stocked up in bits,
If it is the same as petes muzi they go pretty good stock as he says,Ive seen him flying it out at the club a few times and looks great flyin around.
How come you did not get a esc from HK?
Nice plane and looks like a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 12:41

The Turnigy 30amp esc is wanted was on back order, and still is (not in there store at the moment).
Will see when they get them in, if I still get it.
If you order it with other stuff, it all stays there untill back order shows up.
So could be waiting a while otherwise.
Yea, its a good chance to get heaps of the small stuff.
What else is good to have ?
Its great, as you add stuff it adds up the weight and tells you how much left untill you go into the next weight catagory.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeSun 10 Oct - 13:48

Cool,I have not brought any stuff of HK,

You only need a 30amp ESC of your motor/prop current draw is say around 25-28 amps,
So if the motor/prop current amp draw is say 8amps the 10amp ESC will do and there is no advantage to changing it for a 30amp ESC.
It pays to get a good lipo charger,one that has a discharge-storage program.
If you are going to get into electric planes a Watt meter is very handy to have,then you can see how many amps your motor/prop is drawing,battery voltage etc.
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct - 13:48

Hey Glenn, have you got an example for the charger I could look online at?
My electric Mustang in the reviews had someone testing it and it was drawing 11 amps !!! and thought the esc was the incorrect one, but others said it worked fine, so yea each to there own I spose. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct - 14:15

'Hey davy,
Would be interesting to see how many amps it does draw,
Maybe Just go for a 18-20 amp ESC,if thay had changed prop from stock,increased diameter or pitch it would draw more amps.
So when is the maiden flight?
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct - 14:59

lol, need charger, change to matching battery and esc plugs, then try fit everything in. lol
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeWed 13 Oct - 8:08

Hyperion EOS0403i Lipo Balance Charger ,this is the charger that I have got,the next model up from this one costs more but has a storage discharge function which is good if you have fully charged batteries and then dont get to use them,if you store lipos fully charged they eat themselves and will not hold a charge any longer.
Get a charger,some dean plugs and stuff that bird full of gear. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov - 14:50

Is it worth getting a folding prop and spinner, or persever with extra props lol?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 15:31

davy.if its for the mustang.stay with solid prop. just remember to take throttle right off when you land and u should not break anymore.
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 12:11

Back to top Go down
Davy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Davy

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 13:16

Wow that looks like a nice jet Glenn, awesome. Have you flown it yet? If so how did it go ?
Back to top Go down
Weldingrod
Prolific User
Prolific User
Weldingrod

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 13:21

Hey Davy,
No flight as of yet,still putting it together,Painted up the pilot and some cockpit detail so far,got to get back to building it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for an electric !   Looking for an electric ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for an electric !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MODEL AIRCRAFT FORUM :: General Discussion :: Projects/What's New-
Jump to: